If I have type 1 herpes, can I contract type 2? I have started to date someone with genital herpes. I get cold sores myself on my mouth. Can I have both types of herpes?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: Partial

Hsv1 provides partial immunity against hsv2.
It is possible that you already have type 2. The other person might have type 1 or type 2 or both. You might consider herpes blood tests for both of you.

In brief: Partial

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

You should be very careful and use protection at all times.
Be mindful of when you have an outbreak. Be very careful not to get it in your eyes !

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: In

In the past it was thought that hsv (herpes simplex virus) type 1 was strictly isolated to the oral mucosa (mouth/lips) and that type 2 was localized to the genitals and anus.
It is now known that a person can carry both types in either location. If you only get herpes lesions on your mouth and not on your genitals then you need to know that if you have unprotected oral, vaginal, or anal sex with your partner then you are at a high risk of contracting genital herpes, and the type really won't make any difference (although type 2 is found more predominantly in the genitals). It is important to use condoms to avoid spread of the virus. I know this can be confusing. Please feel free to comment with any further questions. Take care.

In brief: In

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson