Borderline personality disorder thanks for reading and any help you can provide. I have a family member who i'm fairly certain is bpd. I believe she's had similar problems stemming from childhood. How can we express to this person how her actions make p

Dr. Andrew Levinson

In brief: Part

Part of the challenge with having borderline personality is an inability of the patient to manage their emotional world.
Often they will be controlling in order to give them some sense of their internal chaos. I would recommend the book, "stop walking on eggshells" by randy kreger to help give you some perspective and tools to deal with your BP family member.

In brief: Part

Dr. Andrew Levinson
Dr. Andrew Levinson

In brief: Great

Great question and incredibly difficult situation.
I believe that there is a lot of good information available on the web from reliable sites (such as mayo clinic) on this topic. The description of the family member's behavior certainly is one that could raise the issue of the diagnosis but only a mental health professional trained particularly to deal with such presentations can reach that conclusion. There is greater interest and understanding about bpd in recent years and especially the contribution of both nature and nurture. Treatment options are increasing as are appropriate medications to help with the more severe symptoms. You will find a lot of that discussed on good web sites. I would also particularly recommend looking at dr. Marsha lenahan's dialectic behavior therapy model for helpful hints on understanding and approaching the family member. Being able to accept their behavior on the one hand and also being able to point out that such reactions may not be the most optimal way of dealing with intense emotions and could lead to job and relationship losses as well as alienating relatives who would like to be of help. There is a way of learning better techniques for expressing these feelings that would help create allies and gain support that otherwise leads to adversarial relationships and the very feelings of being all alone that are dreaded. Patience will be tried, calm persistence is needed.

In brief: Great

Dr. Sheldon Kardener
Dr. Sheldon Kardener
Dr. Jonathan Jassey