Should my dad be driving after having seizure and taking keppra (levetiracetam) my dad is77 he recently had two brain seizures the neurologist put him on keppra (levetiracetam) i don think he should be driving but they didn't take his license away

Dr. Frances Dyro
Neurology

In brief: This

This can be a legal issue.
Different states have different laws regarding permission to drive following seizures. Most states require the patient to be seizure-free on medication for six months before permission to drive is restored. I don't know what the requirement is in pennsylvania. Also, in some states the physician is expected to notify dmv. Dmv then notifies the driver. The only exceptions I have made is if the patient has only nocturnal seizures or possibly if there is focal onset or aura that allow the driver to pull over and stop safely. The decision is individually based. I hope your father considers the danger to himself and others if he has a seizure while driving. I agree with dr. Fowler that you and your father should discuss this issue before someone gets hurt. Good luck.

In brief: This

This can be a legal issue.
Dr. Frances Dyro
Dr. Frances Dyro

In brief: Please

Please ask to address this with your father's neurologist.
This could be a potentially dangerous situation.

In brief: Please

Dr. Jeffrey Blum
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: No

No chance.......He now has altered brain function and can be a danger to himself and others on the road.

In brief: No

Dr. Jeffrey Blum
Dr. Jeffrey Blum