Should i take amoxil 500 mg after taking ciprofloxacin 500 mg for my urinary tract infection? I had a urinary tract infection so the doctor gave me ciprofloxacin 500 mg to take for 3 days. I took the last pill this morning, however, i feel like i still ha

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Not unless sensitive

Best management of a UTI is for dr to get urine sample for culture & sensitivities before antiantibiotics are taken.
Patient can start antibiotics as soon as sample is taken. Result will be ready in 48 hrs. And show which antibiotics will be effective against bacteria causing your uti. If bacteria are resistant, as yours are, an appropriate antibiotic can be selected, usually not amoxil (amoxicillin).

In brief: Not unless sensitive

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Mitchell Schuster
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology

In brief: Check with doctor

The Cipro (ciprofloxacin) should have covered a UTI but sometimes resistant bacteria will not respond.
The Amoxicillin might help but you are likely to get some diarrhea and possible yeast infections with all of the antibiotics.

In brief: Check with doctor

Dr. Mitchell Schuster
Dr. Mitchell Schuster
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Hopefully

Hopefully the doctor took a sample of your urine and sent it to the lab for a urine culture.
The reason this is done is to obtain identification and sensitivity results. This means that the type of bacteria causing the infection will be identified and the antibiotics that will work to erradicate the bacteria will also be identified, a well as those that will not work. I do not recommend you take amoxicillin. I suggest you call the doctor and inform them of your continued symptoms. Hopefully the culture was sent and the appropriate antibiotic can be started. If not then your doctor will likely send out a urine culture and start you another antibiotic and adjust accordingly. Good luck.

In brief: Hopefully

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Jane Van Dis