Is it "normal" to have minor chipping of teeth (molar)? The top edges of my back molar seems to have some minor chipping, evidenced by "rough" feel when i move my tongue over the tooth. Is this normal? My dentist hasn't said anything... I brush 2x daily,

Dr. Neil McLeod
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: First

First of all it is good that you are brushing your teeth twice daily, and flossing.
Congratulations. Crest contains Fluoride and is a good toothpaste. One tip i can give you is to make sure that you do not brush immediately after meals, but rinse your mouth with water and then wait for an hour or so before brushing. This should be standard procedure to allow time for the saliva to reconstitute any etched enamel. But it may be particularly important for you! now to your question about your back teeth seeming to be chipped and feeling rough. The short answer is “no” it is not normal for your teeth to feel rough or chipped, it is abnormal, and you should go back and ask your dentist to check carefully or change to a dentist who will take the time to evaluate your condition properly. There are a number of factors that can cause yur teeth to chip or feel rough. Firstly you may be grinding your teeth. Internalizing stress and clenching your teeth is far more common than you would think. We call it bruxism. May be you need a mouth guard. Secondly your “bite” might be off, we call that an occlusal discrepancy. This can put undue pressure on certain teeth causing them to chip or wear excessively, it can also make you grind your teeth. Thirdly, you might have filings that are wearing or unsupported enamel chipping away from the area where teeth are filled. A fourth consideration is that you may have acid reflux from your stomach which might cause the teeth to be etched excessively and weakened. So you can see there are a number of things to think about. I do hope that helps. Thank you dr neil mcleod. Dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

In brief: First

Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Sander White
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: It

It sounds like either some chipping from something you bit on or from some discrepacncy with the way your teeth bit.
Teeth should not have sharp edges.

In brief: It

Teeth should not have sharp edges.
Dr. Sander White
Dr. Sander White
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dentistry

In brief: The

The chipping that you describe may fall under the heading of 'normal wear and tear.' especially if your dentist hasnt said anything.
However, do you grind your teeth at night (bruxism), or clench them together during the day? Do you chew ice or have other habits that put an undue burden on your teeth? If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then you need to treat those habits. It seems as if you are a regular dental patient. If your dentist has not become concerned, then either a call to him/her would be appropriate, or a visit to show the dentist what you are mentioning.

In brief: The

Dr. Alan Zweig
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dr. Steven Seres