Could having surgery for esophageal cancer make me lose my memory?

Dr. David Cooke
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Sort of

Its not uncommon to have changes in short term memory, concentration and some cognitive function after major surgery.
The stress of surgery diverts the body's nutrients towards healing (catabolic state or "fight or flight") as opposed to higher brain function. This is usually self limiting, and will get better the further out you are from surgery.

In brief: Sort of

Dr. David Cooke
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. Jon Wee
Memory loss can be related to stress, medication, or a medical condition. If it persists, I would have your doctor evaluate it. Spread of cancer to the brain can also result in congnitive inbalance.
Dr. Savas Mavridis
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Very unlikely

It is very unlikely for that to happen.
There are some situations like stroke or low perfusion presure to the brain that may occur, as well as medications that may have contributed to what you are experiencing. You should see you doctor right away, to do a full work up to identify the cause, and treat or prevent further problems.

In brief: Very unlikely

It is very unlikely for that to happen.
Dr. Savas Mavridis
Dr. Savas Mavridis
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery