Is this really bad itching ok? I had a procedure on my right elbow on friday. I know that the site itching is a sign of healing, but should it itch from my wrist to my neck?

Dr. Monica Wood
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Itching

Itching is a very non-specific symptom. Do you have a bandage, splint, or cast in place? Do you have allergies to medications? Is there a rash? A simple explanation may be the soap used to wash your skin for surgery.
If they washed from fingertips to neck, as would be done for most elbow surgery, you could be having some irritation or an allergic reaction. If you have a significant rash, then the scrub soap should be noted in your records as a medical allergy. However, not removing enough soap and covering the skin with bulky bandages can lead to irritation without a true allergy. Other possibilities are sweating underneath bandages and allergic reactions to medications. Most infections cause pain, not itching.

In brief: Itching

Dr. Monica Wood
Dr. Monica Wood