Can my own fat be used for lip augmentation? I'm worried about synthetic fillers and how I might react. Can I use my own fat for lip augmentation? How is that done? .

Fat. Fat grafting can be used to fill facial wrinkles or restore volume. Fat grafting to the lips was more popular before the newer hyaluronic acid (ha) filler became available. Once the fat graft takes, it can provide several years of lip augmentation the problem with fat is that it is not as predictable as the current off the shelf fillers. Sometimes it all takes, sometimes only half survives. So be prepared for multiple procedures to get your "final" result. There is much more swelling after fat grafting, and occasionally hard will develop. Ha is normally found in the skin and joints, so there is no allergy to it. If you have never had lip augmentation with a filler, you might consider trying an ha like Restylane (dermal fillers) or juvederm first, to get an idea of how much volume is enough. For longer lasting lip augmentation I prefer dermal drafts over fat grafts. They are a little more work to prepare, but the results are more predictable, and there are fewer problems with lumps forming. Be certain for find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to help you decide what is best for you.
Fat. Fat grafting is an excellent option for volume, however - the lip is an area where I don't see it as the first or best choice available. Because the lip moves a lot it interferes with the take of the graft--the graft will not survive as well in the lips as it does in other areas of the body. For this reason, I actually prefer synthetic fillers in the lip, or a lip lift.
Lip. Lip augmentation with fat is possible yes. You can augment the lips with your own fat! I perform this procedure quite often and with the newest methods of carefully preparing the fat the result should be longer lasting than hyaluronic acid fillers. This can be performed in the office by itself or along with other cosmetic surgery in the operating room. The fat is harvested with a very small cannula (metal tube) from the hip, thigh or abdomen after the area has been numbed. The fat is spun in a centrifuge to separate the fat from the oil and serum. The fat is then place in small 1 cc syringes and injected into the lip which should be completely numbed using dental nerve blocks for anesthesia. This procedure should be both effective and comfortable. You will sometimes get more swelling and bruising from fat grafting than you would with Restylane (dermal fillers) or juvederm, but it does last longer.
Lip. Lip augmentation is commonly done with fat grafting or transfer techniques. Your own fat is harvested and prepared and then injected into the lips with a special needle. The advantage of the fat transfer technique is the fat can give you a long term, permanent result. The disadvantage of the fat transfer technique is the longer recovery because you will be more swollen for a longer period of time and the amount of fat "take" is not completely predictable. Sometimes to get to the size you want to be you may have to repeat the procedure. Best wishes dr. Peterson.
Yes. Yes your own fat may be used. In most instances a donor site is used such as the belly or inner/outer thighs. The fat is obtained using liposuciton. A variety of techniques for "processing the fat" such as filtering, washing, centrifuging, layering, etc are employed for isolating the fat. Typically the fat is then introduced to the lip with either a sharp or blunt needle. Results may last anywhere from 6 months to well over 2 years.