What is possible pars defect in your back?And my c1 is unfused, the ER doctor said i may have been born like that.... Since i went for neck pain due to a car accident, I have since retrieved my medical records from an accident i was in, in 1998, and i fou

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Spondylolysis

There is a bony structure in the back called the pars interarticularis.
It is a bridge of bone between the articular processes that make up the facet joints. The bridges of bone are put under a lot of stress with rotation or extension activities of the back. When the stress becomes too great, a fracture can occur. This is called a pars defect and is also known as a spondylolysis. Thank you.

In brief: Spondylolysis

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: .

. A pars defect is believed to be a stress fracture in a fragile area where the body of the vertebra joins to the arched portion that holds the spinal cord.
A stress fracture happens from repeated strain on a bone. At first the body is able to heal the damage. If the repeated strains happen faster than the body can respond, the bone eventually fractures. However, you may also have a congenital anomaly (born with it). There are spinal procedures such as fusions that can repair the area if it is felt to be from trauma.

In brief: .

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery