Treatment of compulsive disorders hello: is naltrexone used to treat compulsive sexual disorders when they are non-responsive to ssri's? How long does it take for the medication to work? How long are patienst kept on this medication before they are weane

Dr. James Rotchford
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Experimental

Since i haven't heard of this treatment i would assume it is experimental.
Most compulsive disorders wax and wane and are not entirely cured but managed by behavioral as well as medical interventions. I would thus expect Naltrexone to be used for extended periods of time if indeed it was helping.

In brief: Experimental

Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. James Rotchford

In brief: Wow,

Wow, this is a tough question.
Naltrexone is an opiate antagonists used to decrease cravings for alcohol and opiods in people who abuse them. Obsessive compulsive disorder is not an approved indication for use of naltrexone. With that said, I have heard anecdotal reports of Naltrexone being tried at doses of 25-50 mg per day for certain types of obssesive / compulsive behaviors. This is called off - label use. I have not used Naltrexone for this purpose, so I do not know how beneficial it might be. Maybe there is another psychiatrist on this site who is experienced in using Naltrexone this way.

In brief: Wow,

Wow, this is a tough question.
Dr. Eric Weisman