Root canal and extreme sensitivity later? I had a root canal done on a molar in the bottom left of my jaw eight months ago. Just recently, a few days ago, i started feeling extreme sensitivity to cold and heat around the same tooth. Could i be feeling sen

Dr. Jean Edderai
Dentistry

In brief: You

You are absolutely right, after the removal of all nerves, you should not feel any sensation of cold or heat, some times you may feel the same tooth and it could come frome the adjacent tooth.
I would recommend you to have a specialist (endodontist) examine you and determine the source of your problem. In general root canals are best treated by specialists. Good luck.

In brief: You

Dr. Jean Edderai
Dr. Jean Edderai
Dr. Trung Pham
Dentistry

In brief: Possible

As the other 2 dentists have answered, the pain can be from an adjacent tooth.
It can also be from an additional/accessory nerve that was not removed from the tooth that had the root canal. Thus, that tooth is still alive. Get an evaluation from a root canal specialist. Perhaps one that has a 3-d x-ray machine which can show the untreated accessory nerve canal, if it exists.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Trung Pham
Dr. Trung Pham
Dr. Bruce Terry
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Generally

Generally if you are having pain to temperature it is coming from a tooth that has not had root canal treatment.
Pain to biting and chewing can be either a tooth that has or has not had root canal treatment. You should see your dentist or an endodontist to determine the origin of your pain and then treat accordingly.

In brief: Generally

Dr. Bruce Terry
Dr. Bruce Terry
Dr. Vicken Poochikian