How long does a night guard last? I had a night guard made for bruxism just under two years ago, and it already feels like it is getting thinner and wearing out. How long can I expect my night guard to last? I spent almost $400 on it in total, and don't w

Dr. Alice Urbankova
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Individual

Depends on material it is made off, and the severity of your grinding habits, if it is loose, you may need a new one.

In brief: Individual

Dr. Alice Urbankova
Dr. Alice Urbankova
Dr. Steven Bender
Dentistry

In brief: Proper care

With proper care on the part of your dentist and yourself, these appliances can last a very long time.
I have some patients wearing the same appliance i made for them over 20 years ago. I will often add material to thicken them when they get too thin or repair them if they break.

In brief: Proper care

Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Mike Deldar
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Depend to your bite

Even though you wearing a night guard still did not resolve your clinging and bite issues.
My suggestion to you find a neuro muscular dentist to help you find the corect physiologic bite position and base of that they fabricate you an orthotic that is much more comfortable to wear and help you with your bite and jaw issues.

In brief: Depend to your bite

Dr. Mike Deldar
Dr. Mike Deldar
Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: It

It is not unusual that it is getting thinner after two years.
If you have severe bruxism, it would be expected to wear out faster. You can try a nonprescription mouthguard as it would be much cheaper, but if that doesn't work unfortunately you would have to replace yours.

In brief: It

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Steven Bender
Research has shown that over the counter mouth guards will increase sleep bruxism due to the softer material and the poor fit. These are only recommended as a temporary measure.
Dr. Marsha Davis