Is this sciatica? I've had a burning and tingling sensation on the bottom of my thigh for four days now. It hurts to sit, and really burns when i stand after sitting. I'm 24, and most of what i've read says sciatica happens to people who are older, but sc

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: 20s and older

but can occur at any age but the older you are the more likely this will occur. Usually less than 15yo is rare.

In brief: 20s and older

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Brian Le
Pain Management

In brief: Possibly

Your symptoms are consistent with sciatica.
Sciatica is a neuropathic pain due to nerve compression. It is more common in older people but can happen at earlier age. The symptoms can vary and can be tingling, burning, shooting pain. I recommend you see a pain specialist for evaluation.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Carl Spivak
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Sciatica

Sciatica is leg pain, numbness and weakness caused by compression of the sciatic (nerve roots) in the lumbar spine.
The pain usually radiates past the knee, but there are different presentations. The most common cause of sciatica i see is from a disk herniation in the low back. Disk herniations can occur at any age but is less common in elderly people. It can certainly happen in patients in their 20's. I recommend seeing your primary care doctor for further work-up and treatment. Most people benefit from short-term rest, anti-inflammatory medications (if you are able to take them, talk to your doctor) and physical therapy. For more information please see my health guides on lumbar disk disease and sciatica. Good luck!

In brief: Sciatica

Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Carl Spivak