What causes bladder cancer if not smoking? I've recently been diagnosed with bladder cancer by my doctor, who said it's almost always caused by smoking. I'm 55 now, and smoked two cigarettes when I was a teenager. Could diet or something I've been drinkin

Dyes and chemicals. It doesn't sound like smoking has anything to do with your bladder cancer. Were you exposed to aniline dyes, chemicals, or chemotherapy in the past? These are risk factors. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck. Whatever the cause, there are good treatments. Don't blame yourself!
Good question. While certain diets and substances increase the risk for certain cancers, most cases of cancer we really don't know the cause. Besides tobacco, there are likely other substances that consumed can increase the likelihood of having bladder cancer, but i would suggest talking to an oncologist and then let it go. Spend your energy processing the feelings coming up and pursuing the very best of care.
Most . Most cancers are caused by a proliferation of cells that are damaged in some form or fashion, so that their growth is uncontrolled. The way they come to be damaged can vary, but the vast majority are due to environmental factors, such as smoking, alcohol, etc. Cancers are even known to form in areas of chronic irritation, such as gastric ulcers or burns. Substances that cause dna mutations are known as mutagens, and mutagens that cause cancers are known as carcinogens. Particular substances have been linked to specific types of cancer. Tobacco smoking is associated with many forms of cancer, including lung and bladder cancer. However, other associations also exist, such as parasitic infections, radiation and chemical exposures. Your physician is correct by telling you that the overwhelming majority of bladder cancer is associated with smoking, but without a complete account of your history and exposures, it would be impossible to link a specific cause in your particular case.