When do I need to start birth control when my periods are very irregular? My periods have always been irregular, I recently had a child in january of 2012 and started taking birth control feb. 14th 2012, I don't know when my period will come, and I starte

As . As you probably know, there are a couple of ways to start birth control pills. If you start taking them during the first five days of your menstrual cycle (with day 1 being the first day of your period), you don't need to use a "backup" form of birth control. However, if you start taking your birth control pills at any other time -- the so-called "quick start" method -- you should use some other form of birth control for the first week (i.e., condoms, diaphragm, female condom, or sponge). Given your history of irregular periods and uncertain ovulation dates, you should have used a backup form of birth control for the first week you were on birth control pills. Even though you delivered a baby in january, there's a small chance you ovulated (and may have even conceived again) since your delivery. While it's unlikely you're pregnant, call your doctor for advice.
You . You will most likely start your period when you are on the "sugar pill" part of the cycle. As long as you are taking the birth control pill, having unprotected intercourse with your husband is very unlikely to result in pregnancy, though some sources recommend using a condom for the first month of being on birth control. If you do miss your period, although it may be from hormone fluctuations, please take a pregnancy test just be be sure. Loestrin is a good form of birth control and most women tolerate it well.