Are there exercises or yoga positions which could help my GERD symptoms and let me avoid surgery?

Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: No

But sleeping positions (on a wedge or with the head of the bed elevated) can help gerd and possibly avoid surgery .
..

In brief: No

..
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
weight lifting, some calisthenics (sit ups, push ups) that involve straining, and some yoga positions (downward dog) may make GERD worse
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Not that I know of.

There are many, many things that one can do to control their gerd symptoms before considering surgery, however i would not include yoga on that list.
Proven benefits include dietary and lifestyle modifications (avoid caffeine, chocolate, tomato products, spicy foods, tobacco, alcohol), weight loss, avoid large meals before bedtime, try to elevate the head of the bed, and use of acid-reducing meds.

In brief: Not that I know of.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery