I stapled my finger , what should I do? I used antibiotic cream, and I have pain in my finger

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Take

Take it out.
Clean it. Watch for infection. If it gets infected you need to see a doctor.

In brief: Take

Take it out.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint

In brief: Hello.

Hello. Do not know if this was a normal staple used for paper or if it was one of the larger staples used for working with heavy materials.
If the staple is still embedded in your finger, recommend that you go to the emergency room to have it removed. Before any recommendations are made, if your finger appears infected — it is imperative that you be seen at the er or an acute care clinic. An infection in the finger can quickly spread to the hand. Hand infections can rapidly become very serious. If your finger is red, swollen, hot, tender, has drainage or has red streaking moving up your hand or arm, this is consistent with an infection. If there are no signs of infection, recommend soaking with epsom salt. Epsom salt contains Magnesium Sulfate and it can decrease inflammation. Make sure you wash your finger and hands very well with warm, soapy water. Dry it on a clean towel or with a paper towel. Put ½ cup of epsom salt into a clean container / bucket with warm water and stir. Soak your hand/ finger for 20 minutes. Dry off the area and put a sterile bandage over your injury. You can do this several times a day. I hope this is helpful for you. Remember, don't take a chance if it worsens.

In brief: Hello.

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine