Are there artificial lungs that can be implanted after surgery?

Dr. David Cooke
Surgery - Thoracic

But not what you think.
There is something called ecmo. This system removes blood from the body, oxygenates it, and returns it to the body. Most commony used in babies after complex heart surgery.

But not what you think.
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

In brief: No

Not to my knowledge.
The closest thing is ecmo, direct oxygenation of the blood. Lung transplant is sometimes done in a few places, though these are meticulously planned surgeries. Mechanical ventilators are very advanced now, so are good at helping lungs exchange gases until lungs can work on own.

In brief: No

Not to my knowledge.
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery