My obgyn. Doctor said that my baby's head may be small at birth, what can this mean I am 8 months pregnant and I have MS and mental disabilities

In brief: Hi,

Hi, i think it is very important to ask your obstetrician what she or he is referring to.
On the one hand, it could be that your fetus’ head is small enough that it might allow the delivery to go more easily. Regarding head size, find out if the doctor is referring to a circumference that is on the low end of normal. Also, be aware that the measurements taken in utero may not be exactly the same as when the baby is measured at birth. There is a genetic component regarding head circumference. In other words, a number of members of a family may have a small head and are completely healthy with normal intelligence. This is called benign familial microcephalus. Before you start worrying about whether this is a defect, please sit down and talk to the doctor and ask for an explanation. Ask your doctor is there is a concern regarding your baby's head or if she or he is simply notifying you that the baby's head may be small.

In brief: Hi,

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Have a prenatal

Visit to your pediatrician to ask if your baby's head growth can be monitored a little more often than usual & if developmental surveillance with standardized screening tests will be done at every well-child check.
It'll help to know your current head circumference, cognitive abilities & medications. Your state's early intervention program will also help you monitor your baby's development.

In brief: Have a prenatal

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Gregg L. Friedman MD Psychiatrist Agrees