I take a very small amount of ketoconazole for tinea versicolor, two pills every six months. Will this small amount effect my testosterone production?

Dr. Louis Cady

In brief: Probably temporary

From my reading on your questions, orally administered ketoconazole can indeed affect testosterone synthesis.
However, since you only take it every six months, even if you take a "hit" in terms of testosterone synthesis for a few days to a week or so, you ought to be fine.

In brief: Probably temporary

Dr. Louis Cady
Dr. Louis Cady
Dr. James Seward
Dermatology

In brief: Ketoconazole

Ketoconazole is a prescription medication used by many dermatologists for tinea versicolor. It is can lead to decreased steroidogenesis and testosterone production, but a few pills twice a year should have minimal effect on those processes.
It should only be used under the guidance of a dermatologist or other capable physician and can be quite effective for tinea versicolor in many cases. I hope that helps.

In brief: Ketoconazole

Dr. James Seward
Dr. James Seward