I have severe to light pain in my stomach? I have taken omeprazole, which didn't work. It hurts really bad sometimes after i eat, and sometimes it starts up on its own. There are times when i can't even touch my stomach because of the pain. It has been go

Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: Unfortunately

Unfortunately the description of your symptoms does not allow me to provide a very educated suggestion as to the cause of your problems.
In particular, the causes for abdominal pain can be quite diverse, ranging from an "internal organ" problem, such as gallbladder, intestine, pancreas, urological, to musculoskeletal, such as a hernia, to neurological, such as a pinched nerve or neuralgia due to infection. In order to provide a more logical path to working out the cause of your pain, one would want to know about the nature of your pain (characterize it, sharp, dull, constant, crampy, associated with eating, change with movement, referred pain), and associated symptoms, such as the presence or absence of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, distention, weight loss, other medical history. The fact that you stated that you have pain after you eat, may point to this being a gallbladder problem, which is a very common problem, especially amongst women in the 30-40s. That Omeprazole did not help goes along with a gallbladder problem, since Omeprazole is an antacid. Gallstones cause pain after eating, particularly with fatty goods, which normally stimulate the gallbladder which stores bile, to squeeze and dump the bile into the intestines to assist with digestion. If there is a gallstone(s), then the gallbladder is squeezing against resistance/obstruction, and this causes a typical crampy mid-abdominal pain that starts about 20-30 minutes after eating and lasts for a few hours. The pain may travel to the back. In order to validate this diagnosis, you will need some additional testing including ultrasound, liver function tests, tests for pancreatitis (amylase and lipase), urine tests.

In brief: Unfortunately

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine