Shoulder or back pain (not sure) but top knob/bone of spine/backbone hurts to touch also. I have been having this burning pain in my upper left shoulder/back area, the top 'knob/bone' of my spine/back bone hurts to the touch. I don't even have to be doing

Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Back

Back pain is usually caused by irritated muscles or nerves.
Be sure you are using good posture at work. Some work places will provide an "ergonomic evaluation" of your work area/desk to be sure you are positioned appropriately. Exercise can be helpful, if you go to a gym ask a trainer to suggest some light exercises or light weights that may help you. Physical therapy can be very helpful for back/shoulder pain. If you have anything that makes you think you may have a "ruptured disc" in your neck back, such as pain down your arm, numbness or weakness, then you would have to see a physician immediately for evaluation.

In brief: Back

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Spine Pain Options

This chronic pain in the distribution as you suggested is the result of an irritated nerve or facet joints or other injury typically in the spine (mid back) which are caused by herniated disks, spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease, etc requiring further evaluation by a spine specialist and may be candidate for facet injections/radiofrequency ablation and epidural steroid injection.

In brief: Spine Pain Options

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Vikram Patel