If you have a medical hysterectomy can you go through menapause? I had a medical hysterectomy and was wondering if i will go through menapuse? I am 56 years old had my hysterctomy about 6 years ago i was on an estrogen replacement therapy for about one ye

In brief: Hi.

Hi. Yes, if you had a hysterectomy with removal of your ovaries, you can have the same menopausal symptoms that woman go through who still have ovaries and a uterus.
Symptoms can include: hot flashes, night sweats, depressed mood, mood swings, fatigue, tenderness of your breasts, vaginal dryness, weight gain and osteoporosis. This can feel quite miserable. I recommend that sit down with your doctor and advise him or her of your symptoms. There are approaches that don't require hormone replacement therapy and treatments using hormone replacement.

In brief: Hi.

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Let's

Let's talk about the menopause.
Natural menopause occurs when the ovaries run out of eggs and thus hormone production. Surgical menopause is when the ovaries are removed - the uterus has nothing to do with menopause. Your history is a bit confusing because you say you had surgery and a hysterectomy and then hormone replacement. A medical hysterectomy is a mis-nomer and you are probably referring to the hormone therapy. Nevertheless, the answer to your question is that whether you had the ovaries removed at the time of surgical hysterectomy or you have natural menopause after the surgery, you will go through menopause. Menopause basically means that your ovaries are no longer functional (naturally or surgically). As dr fowler says, you will have the symptoms but they vary between women. The symptoms can be minimized by hormones or by other medications, sometimes the treatments are very effective and sometimes not. I think you need to have a conversation with your gynecologist because menopause therapy became more complicated several years ago when we learned that hormone replacement therapy is not always as safe as we thought. Best wishes.

In brief: Let's

Let's talk about the menopause.
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Adam Levy