I am refusing to have a mammogram and now my nurse practitioner is refusing to refill my estradoil because of my decision. I had a hysterectomy at 26 and have been taking estrogen since. If i don't take it I have severe night sweats, hot flashes and feel

Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Please get mammogram

Hormone use can put you at increased risk for breast cancer so it is important that you get a mammogram.
I don't know your age or how long you've been taking the medicine. The recommendation is not to take hormones for more than 5 years. There are some non hormone options to help manage the hot flashes.

In brief: Please get mammogram

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton

In brief: Hello.

Hello. It is recommended that when taking Estradiol that you undergo regular physical exams and mammograms.
You should also self-examine your breasts for lumps on a monthly basis while using estradiol. Long-term Estradiol treatment may increase your risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, or uterine cancer. Estradiol can also cause breast lumps, discharge and persistent breast pain or tenderness. You had a hysterectomy at age 26, but have no idea how old you are now. This is especially of concern if there is a familial history of breast cancer. I know that you don't feel you need a mammogram now. However, it is not clear exactly what the results were with your last mammogram. Sometimes that radiologist that reads the mammogram may recommend that it be repeated within a certain time frame if there is an issue that is being tracked. The bottom line is that is your nurse practioner's license that is on the line when she treats you. Most of us care about our patients, and would feel very bad if there was a bad outcome because we were medically cutting corners. Based on the information provided, i can not pass judgment on your nurse practioner. I must say, however, that if she believes that this is medically the best course of action, that i respect her for not dropping her standard of care.

In brief: Hello.

Dr. Jane Van Dis