I took a urine test and the doctor called back and said I have sugar in my urine, what does this mean. I am a 26 year old male who has common variable immuno deficiency and i may have propheryia or an auto immune disease, does sugar in the urine indictae

Dr. Cheryl Winchell

In brief: Most

Most people don't have sugar in their urine until their blood sugar is 250mg/dl or more.
But some people will have sugar in their urine with normal blood levels of glucose. This is called renal glycosuria. It usually has little clinical significance. If your fasting blood sugar is elevated, you may have diabetes. If a blood glucose is done concurrently with finding sugar in your urine, you can sort out if you are just one of those people who spill sugar into the urine at normal blood glucose levels or if you may be diabetic. This should be checked out soon, especially if you are experiencing excessive thirst or frequent urinination.

In brief: Most

Dr. Cheryl Winchell
Dr. Cheryl Winchell
Dr. Stephen Christensen

In brief: There

There are a number of potential causes for glycosuria, or "sugar in the urine.
" diabetes is among the most common causes of glycosuria, but urine tests are not the best way to diagnose diabetes. Interestingly, physicians have recognized an association between porphyria and diabetes for at least 60 years. See your doctor to determine whether you have diabetes or if some other condition is causing your glycosuria. Good luck!

In brief: There

Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Eric Weisman