I fell and hit my knee (pretty hard). I can move it just fine with no pain, but if the knee is touched it fells like a knife I am 41, in good shape, all around pretty healthy

Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Ortho eval

You need to see an ortho doc.
You can still have a fracture.

In brief: Ortho eval

You need to see an ortho doc.
You can still have a fracture.
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It

It sounds as though (at minimum) you have sustained a pretty severe contusion and the persistent pain is likely the result of a bone bruise--these can cause severe sharp pain that persists for weeks, but are not serious.
Assuming there was no twisting or angular component to the injury, which could have resulted in a cartilage or ligament injury. Depending on the force involved (and height from which you fell) you may also have sustained a fracture. I recommend ice, compressive wrap, and limit your activity until you can obtain an xray; which you should do as soon as possible.

In brief: It

Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine