I am a 49 yr old black woman who had a hysterectomy in 2007. Now I have chronic bv? I have been to see a few drs. Who say some women just always have this problem. Due to this I have given up on sex because of the fear of smelling foul and also the pain t

Dr. Cheryl Winchell

In brief: Ah,

Ah, why don't women know about the benefits of a vinegar and water douche? If you can change the ph of the vagina, the flora will change back to normal.
One hot water bottle, one quart of warm water, a tablespoon of white vinegar, and miraculously that nasty odor is gone. Repeat this treatment every few days or whenever you notice an abnormal vaginal odor. Use of a probiotic (any lactobaccillis containing yogurt by mouth or in vagina) will help to restore the bacteria that belong there. The pain of intercourse probably has little to do with the vaginosis. If ovaries were removed at the time of hysterectomy, you probably also have atrophic changes of the vaginal tissues. Your doctor can prescribe an estrogen vaginal cream that will help to toughen up the tissues and restore normal lubrication. You are not doomed.

In brief: Ah,

Dr. Cheryl Winchell
Dr. Cheryl Winchell
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Some

Some women benefit from boric acid vaginal suppositories when all else has failed.
Ask your doctor for a prescription. You will need to find a compund pharmacy that can supply this medication. Also, some doctors put their patients on once a day Flagyl for a few months, you can inquire about this. The pain you are having is likely a separate issue. It sounds like vulvodynia. Make sure you use gentle soaps on your vagina (johnson's baby soap is good) and use lots of lubrication if you have vaginal dryness and when you have intercourse. Lastly request a vaginal bacterial dna test to check for rare types of bacteria that cause BV and require alternative treatment. Best of luck.

In brief: Some

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham