What happens to the radioactive seeds implanted in my prostate once the radiation wears out?

Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Nothing

After the seeds "wears out" nothing happens to them. They remain in the prostate and are inert.
They are not removed. Leaving them in does not pose any significant danger to the patient.

In brief: Nothing

Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Souvenir
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Nothing

The seeds are like batteries.
Once their energy is given up they are discharged. The seeds will look exactly the same as before and show up in x-rays. They will be sterile and inert and cause no harm. They can't and won't be removed. They area cased in titanium metal that will remain indefinitely.

In brief: Nothing

The seeds are like batteries.
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: I hope something!

The casings are "welded titanium, " non-ferro-magnetic, that will not move but may warm with magnetic fields, but the "innards" are either 125-iodine, with a half-life of 59.
6 days emiting kv radiation in 3 characteristic peaks about 40% stopped by the case. The seeds can migrate. They will last longer than your bones. The XRT destroys cells in the high dose volume.

In brief: I hope something!

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Arnon Rubin