How do I treat a cough and chest congestion for a 5 month old infant? Should the baby be taken in to see a physician?

Cool mist humidifier. If he has a fever, poor appetite then yes see a dr because he is so young.
Unfortunately. Unfortunately there are no over the counter medications that treat cough and chest congestion in a 5 month old. For this reason it is important to bring the baby in for an evaluation of their symptoms. Prescription medications can be prescribed as deemed necessary. A few things you can do for babies this age is to put a humidifier or cool mist vaporizer where the baby sleeps, use pediatric salt drops (peds ocean spray) for nasal congestion, and tylenol (acetaminophen) as needed for fever, pain, and irritability (indicator of pain). All the best.