What are the disadvantages of calypso prostate radiation?

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: MRI Distortion

Calypso is an excellent real time positioning system. It uses transponder beacons to communicate real time position of the target, currently approved for prostate cancer treatment.
Disadvantage is that it distorts MRI images, so for my cyberknife patients which i treat in 4-5 fractions i get a fair amount of information from MRI and I use good seeds and image the organ about 120 times/ treatment.

In brief: MRI Distortion

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Expense

There are many machine types to give external radiation for prostate cancer.
This is one of the newer ones to track and treat for movement. It is not really the standard of care but exceeds it for a cost. The best treatment in my opinion uses seeds and is only one day and costs far less. No need for tracking the prostate since the seeds move with and are in the gland.

In brief: Expense

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Calypso allows us to see the movement of prostate/lung etc. and create a window of tolerance to turn machine off/on. It does not automatically move the patient to correct for this error. Other modalities like Cyberknife has some advantage in this regards.
Dr. William Forsythe