If my partner has had asymptomatic chlamydia for over 2 years, why would i not have contracted it as well? We do not use condoms since we are (supposedly) monogamous and I am sterile

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: I

I am assuming you have been tested.
If so, have a repeat test to be sure. As far as transmission is concerned, there is a possibility that your partner had chlamydia and did not pass it on to you. I know it seems like you should have contracted it, but this does occur. You also have to consider the possibility that your partner did not have chlamydia for two years and recently contracted it and therefore has had less time to expose you to it. This is a very difficult situation. Just remember that chlamydia can be asymptomatic in individuals for a long time and may not necessarily be passed on; so if you trust your partner, give her the benefit of the doubt. Take care.

In brief: I

I am assuming you have been tested.
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Stephen Christensen

In brief: Women

Women who are infected with chlamydia are frequently asymptomatic, although some develop a vaginal discharge, urinary symptoms, pelvic pain, dyspareunia (pain during intercourse), or pelvic inflammatory disease.
Symptoms in chlamydia-infected men include urinary burning and penile discharge. According to the centers for disease control and prevention, chlamydia is highly transmissible, with infection rates in partners being well over 50%. Transmission rates are believed to be higher from men to women, but it's difficult to determine precise transmission rates due to the large reservoir of asymptomatic carriers in the general population: it's estimated that up to 75% of women infected with chlamydia are asymptomatic; studies suggest that up to 50% of men in some populations are also asymptomatic. Since women are more frequently screened for chlamydia than men, the first sign of infection in a couple may be when a woman goes in for a pap smear and the chlamydia is detected. If her male partner is also asymptomatic, it isn't possible to determine who had the infection first. I hope that helps!

In brief: Women

Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham