Are silver fillings for dental cavities dangerous? I've heard that silver fillings contain mercury and can leech into the bloodstream. Is it true that they could be dangerous to my health? Should I have them replaced with composite? Do dentists still use

Dr. Gary Chapman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: No

Evidence based research has shown over and over that dental amalgam is safe and a very good restoration material with an excellent life span when maintained with a good oral hygiene regimen.
Removal of good amalgam fillings is not indicated in my opinion. They do contain mercury, removal will send a good blast of mercury into your system, more than living with one already in place.

In brief: No

Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. James Goodpaster
I'll add that I, a dentist, have small mercury fillings in some of my back teeth and they are staying there - and IF they need replaced I'd have them replaced with the same thing.
Dr. Theron Baker
Dentistry

In brief: Yikes,

Yikes, no. Replacing your dental silver filings will release more mercury into your system in one dental visit then a lifetime of chewing on them. Evidence-based dentistry has time after time confirmed that mercury-amalgam fillings are safe except in rare instances of allergy.
There are several situations where we recommend replacing silver filings but concerns over mercury blood levels is not one of them. Please reference the american dental association (http://www.Ada.Org/3094.Aspx).

In brief: Yikes,

Dr. Theron Baker
Dr. Theron Baker
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: No the mercury bound

The mercury in your fillings is chemically bound and safe.
Good amalgam fillings need not be replaced. Having your amalgams polished will increase their longevity. However if and when your dentist deems they need replacing, they may opt off some newer, bonded, tooth colored materials!

In brief: No the mercury bound

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Silver

Silver fillings do in fact contain mercury, 50% when first placed, none after 20 years.
Whether this is dangerous or not is a matter of passionate debate, but fewer dentists are still using amalgam. Replacing them is up to you.

In brief: Silver

Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dr. David Schleimer
They can only pose a health hazard if broken or when removed. If it is not broken, leave it.

In brief: Safe and still used!

While it is true that traditional silver fillings have mercury as a component, when it is combined as part of the amalgam filling, it is not dangerous.
The fda, nih and the ada have all done true science in independent testing to verify this fact. The anti- amalgamist have used flawed testing protocols and so incorrect conclusions. Composites are technique sensitive, so some cavities require silver.

In brief: Safe and still used!

Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman