What happens when you need new dental sealant? My dentist told me my sealant should last at least 5 years before it needs to be resealed, and it's been just over 4 since i got mine, so i'm starting to wonder about the resealing. How does the dentist remov

Dr. Eric Eltzroth
Dentistry

In brief: It Usually Comes Out

They will usually wear away or come out.
A dentist can look at a tooth and see if it has a sealant.

In brief: It Usually Comes Out

Dr. Eric Eltzroth
Dr. Eric Eltzroth
Dr. Theron Baker
Dentistry

In brief: Unless

Unless the old sealant is failing, it will not need to be replaced.
Your dentist will inspect your sealants during your routine dental exams. If replacement is needed, I use a small (super small) round bur and lightly drill it out. No anesthetic is necessary and it doesn't hurt.

In brief: Unless

Dr. Theron Baker
Dr. Theron Baker
Dr. Neal Vavra
Dentistry

In brief: Your

Your dentist can remove the old sealant by using air abrasion or a fine diamond bur. There are times when a sealant can be applied over the existing sealant.
I will visually inspect every sealant at each recall examination and touch up as necessary.

In brief: Your

Dr. Neal Vavra
Dr. Neal Vavra
Dr. Robert Faber
Dentistry

In brief: The

The existing sealant does not necessarily need to be removed so long as the broken area has not allowed decay to set into the tooth.
A commonly observed problem with dental sealants that leads to early failure is that the practitioner (dentist or hygienist) has applied the material too thick- sealants generally last more than 5 years if they are applied in the smallest amount possible to seal the grooves and pits in the enamel. However, patients that chew ice or habitually eat really hard things (nuts, hard candies) can expect diminished longevity out of their sealants. -rk faber, dds 949-493-3376.

In brief: The

Dr. Robert Faber
Dr. Robert Faber
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Sealants wear

The sealant material is softer then natural tooth and can slowly wear away over time.
If your tooth needs to be resealed the dentist doesn't need to remove the old sealant because natural wear and tear has already done that. New sealant can be applied right on top of any remaining old sealant. Depending on your diet sealants can last 7-10 years.

In brief: Sealants wear

Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Andrea Brand