How long can I wait before having a root canal? I can't afford it right now, but my insurance will kick in in a couple of months. Is it safe to wait that long? I'm not having any pain, just a little sensitivity when i eat. .

Dr. Randolph Todd
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Hard to tell -

Root canal treatment is performed to eliminate an infection.
This infection may be symptomatic or asymptomatic. The symptoms do not indicate the severity. It would be best to ask this question of the doctor that has examined you. Good luck.

In brief: Hard to tell -

Dr. Randolph Todd
Dr. Randolph Todd
Dr. Whitney Berens
Dentistry

In brief: This

This is a common question that patients ask me all the time.
Many patients try to wait for insurance coverage to do root canals, crowns, or larger priced dentistry. If your symptoms are mild and you do not have an active infection then, it is not a big deal to wait a short amount of time. Root canals are treatment planned for a couple of reasons, but the most common reason is when bacteria from a cavity infect the nerve and blood supply to the tooth. Be sure to discuss with your dentist, any medical conditions that you have. These could be aggravated by an infection in your mouth. Also find out how much of the procedure your dental insurance will cover. Many insurance companies will have different waiting periods or high deductibles and you want to be sure the cost saving it is worth the wait.

In brief: This

Dr. Whitney Berens
Dr. Whitney Berens

In brief: Yes you can wait

You can wait if there is no swelling , pain, or if the infection around the root tip is not near a nerve or sinus.
However only your dentist can evaluate you with an x-rya and determine the waiting period.

In brief: Yes you can wait

Dr. Gary Herskovits
Dr. Gary Herskovits
Dr. Steven Seres