Does teeth whitening make your teeth more likely to get stained later? My friend told me that teeth whitening actually breaks down enamel and makes the pores bigger, so teeth stain easier after treatment. Is this true? I'd really like to get my teeth whit

Dr. Alice Urbankova
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No

Teeth whitening is safe if done under professional guidance with dentist recommended products only.
After comprehensive evaluation of your dental health and quality of your enamel, dentist will design a protocol that you should follow with teeth whitening. It includes Fluoride treatments, sensitivity management, and whitening sessions frequencies. It it safe and effective method to enhance smiles.

In brief: No

Dr. Alice Urbankova
Dr. Alice Urbankova
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Tooth Whitening

First-benefits completely out way any drawbacks (as long as you first see your dentist to ensure healthy teeth and gums prior to procedure and understand limitations).
Second-while it is true that enamel is temporarily more porous, personally I have not seen any increased staining during or after procedure, even though instructions are to avoid certain foods\liquids for short time. Go for it!

In brief: Tooth Whitening

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Joaquin Siles
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Teeth Whitening

The teeth can get staining during the whitening.
Makes the porosity on the enamel bigger. Do not drink coffe, etc.Etc. However few days later the porosity of the enamel closes out, back to normal. You can go back to your regular meals or drinks.

In brief: Teeth Whitening

Dr. Joaquin Siles
Dr. Joaquin Siles
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: While

While the whitening process is taking place, the teeth are more susceptible to stain, but when the treatment is complete, the tooth structure will remineralize.
If you are using a tray system that takes several days or weeks, then alter your diet. After a few days, the teeth will be fine and no limitations to your diet are needed. There is no permanent damage to tooth structure, so the teeth are not weaker as a result. Having said all that, all whitening is temporary and should be touched up as needed.

In brief: While

Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dr. Kenny Abedini
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Yes and No

Enamel pores don't get bigger. They become open.
But calcium from saliva fill in those pores. It is important avoid/minimize consumtion of colored food or drinks for couple of weeks after teeth whitening.

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. Kenny Abedini
Dr. Kenny Abedini
Dr. Theron Baker
Dentistry

In brief: Many

Many things stain teeth: curry, mustard, red wine, coffee, tea, coke, smoking, etc.
, the obvious stuff. While whitening your teeth they are indeed more susceptible to staining from these foods/drinks. For the few weeks after a whitening procedure you should continue to avoid these foods.

In brief: Many

Dr. Theron Baker
Dr. Theron Baker
Dr. Steven Seres