How common is jaw soreness and stiffness after wisdom tooth extraction? I'm having my wisdom tooth extracted in a few weeks. A friend could hardly open her mouth for over a week after she had hers out. How likely is it this will happen to me? .

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Different strokes

Some people have more extensive surgery than others.
That's like saying 2 people, both with broken legs, have different rx...One has a walking cast, the other a cast from toes to hip. Your oral surgeon will go over pain management instructions with you. Follow those instructions to the letter and you should be ok. Hope you do better than your friend.

In brief: Different strokes

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Common

That said, all surgeries are different, depending on the severity and type of impact ions.
Also the patients age, health, etc make huge difference. Some post ops are much worse than others. Discuss your situation w your surgeon during your consult!

In brief: Common

Dr. Mary Engrav
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Everyone's

Everyone's body reacts differently, however most people have significant discomfort/pain for about 2 days, then begin to improve.
I have seen some patients be quite painful for a week. Be sure to use the medications as prescribed for pain and you will most likely do well.

In brief: Everyone's

Dr. Adam Levy