Will correcting my underbite relieve my TMJ pain? I am in my 20s and have an underbite that may be the cause of my tmj. Will treatment fix the TMJ as well? .

Dr. Thomas Tilson
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Yes to some degree

You have multiple things going as i read this.
The underbite has many detrimental factors associated with it through out your life. I would seek an orthodontic professional that could examine you and base his treatment recommendations on qualified information . This initial exam is usually at no cost. See someone soon!

In brief: Yes to some degree

Dr. Thomas Tilson
Dr. Thomas Tilson
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Very complicated

Sometimes. Sometimes not.
Make sure your team involves a TMJ specialist, orthodontist (TMJ sophisticated) and oral surgeon (TMJ sophisticated).

In brief: Very complicated

Sometimes. Sometimes not.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Complex

Class III malocclusion and Temporo-mandibular Joint Dysfunction Syndrome and/or myo-facial pain dysfunction syndrome may be associated or simply coincidental.
Orthodontic treatment will not magically cure damaged jaw joints, but will probably reduce symptoms. See a qualified Orthodontic Specialist for initial examination (usually free) and discussion of treatment options and expectations.

In brief: Complex

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Could be

Jule-- TMJ is a bit of a tricky and mysterious subject.
Anyone who will promise to fix your TMJ issue is a snake oil salesman that you should run away from., There are techniques that we know help some patients, but no guarantees. I see you are in our area, call us and we can discuss face-to-face during a free consult. 303-476-6233. Sincerely-- Dr. Hilary Baskin

In brief: Could be

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Thomas Sollecito
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Unfortunately,

Unfortunately, probably not.
Most experts agree that orthodontic treatment does not cause nor cure tmd problems.

In brief: Unfortunately,

Unfortunately, probably not.
Dr. Thomas Sollecito
Dr. Thomas Sollecito
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Depends on definition of the problem. Correcting occlusion will not correct anatomic degenerative problems within the jaw joints. But creating a stable functional occlusion can reduce neuromuscular symptoms. See an Orthodontist for an examination.
Dr. William Dabney
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: TMJ & underbite

It may or may not.
Have your doctor evaluate you for any joint deterioration/internal damage prior to beginning treatment. You may benefit from having a night guard/spilnt placed for 3-6 months to see if that helps first.

In brief: TMJ & underbite

It may or may not.
Dr. William Dabney
Dr. William Dabney
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: LIKELY NOT

If you have a slight underbite, it may be what orthodontists call a "pseudo class iii", whereby you for convenience place the mandible (lower jaw) forward.
This is done as the normal rotational place your joint used to be before growth was with upper & lower front teeth edge to edge. By positioning either forward or rearward you may slightly strain the attachment of the joint. A rare thing.

In brief: LIKELY NOT

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Duane Keller
Dentistry

In brief: TMJ Orthodontics

It is possible to treat TMJ problems with TMJ orthodontics.
This involves: 1. Find the best and most stable joint/upper quadrant relationship (splint therapy) 2. Evaluate and treat the dentition to the most stable joint position. A. Develop the underdeveloped arch(s) b. Approximate the anteriors and posteriors c. Transfer the bite position d. Compete treatment.

In brief: TMJ Orthodontics

Dr. Duane Keller
Dr. Duane Keller
2 comments
Dr. David Schleimer
There is no such sub-specialty of orthodontics that is termed TMJ orthodontics. It almost always described by general practitioners who believe in "neuro-muscular" dentistry. Orthodontists trained by a residency of 2 or more years treat all types of problems, but it is generally believed that orthodontics is neither the primary cause or cure for derangements of the joint.
Dr. Duane Keller
Orthodontic treatments have an affect on the way teeth come together. The way teeth come together has an effect on the way the lower jaw functions with the upper jaw. The way the lower jaw functions with the upper jaw has an effect on how the jaw joints work. Therefore, orthodontics can affect joint position and relationships. When all of these are taken into consideration it involves both TMJ and Orthodontics
Dr. Steven Seres