What mouthwash is best for halitosis? I know it doesn't cure it, but i'm getting treatment for bad gum disease and need a way to control the halitosis until my mouth is healthy again. I'm looking for a mouthwash that will last more than an hour. .

Dr. Dinh Bui
Dentistry

In brief: Treat the cause

Any mouthwash with ok as long as the cause of disease is treated.
Use biotene (nonalcohol mouthwash)if your mouth is dry. Dry mucosa will cause bleeding as tissue is rubbing and thus the blood smell gives rise to halitosis.

In brief: Treat the cause

In brief: Combo treatment

There is no "magic" bullet mouthwash to help your bad breath.
I'd suggest that in addition to treatment from your dentist, you must exercise rigorous home care to keep your teeth and gums free of all debris! if your bad breath isn't eliminated, try carrying sugar free mints to use and consider adding probiotics to your diet to help with bad breath that is a result of digestive gases.

In brief: Combo treatment

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Use xylotol mo its or gum to help decrease some of the bacteria in your mouth
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Halitosis

This is best answered by your Dentist.

In brief: Halitosis

This is best answered by your Dentist.

In brief: Products

Healthtap Doctors are asked not to endorse specific brands or product lines.

In brief: Products

Dr. Eric Linden
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Many options

There are a number of over the counter mouth rinses that can help until you get your necessary periodontal treatment.
I highly recommend a lanap laser trained periodontist to do your evaluation. There is a Chlorhexidine mouth rinse that is by prescription. Best of luck. Dr eric linden http://www.Drgums.Com.

In brief: Many options

Dr. Theron Baker
Dentistry

In brief: Assuming

Assuming that the dentist treating your gum disease prescribed you an oral rinse (like peridex) when your treatment began, there isn’t anything else i would recommend until the gum disease is stabilized.

In brief: Assuming

Dr. James Jensen
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Cloysis

Treatment of your gum disease is the best solution for halitosis.
Most halitosis comes from the mouth with very little from the stomach or lungs. Your halitosis won't completely improve until your disease is under control. Cloysis helps to reduce sulfurs which are responsible for a good share of halitosis and can help.

In brief: Cloysis

Dr. Diane Minich

In brief: We do not endorse

specific brands on Healthtap.

In brief: We do not endorse

specific brands on Healthtap.
Dr. William Forsythe