Can i give blood if I have von willebrands blood disorder type 2? I am 16 and my school is having a blood drive.... I really want to save those 3 lives.

In brief: Outstanding

Outstanding question.
I commend you on your desire to help others. My answer is that I am not sure. Here are some basic rules for donors which were established by the U.S. Food and drug administration (fda). Some donor centers may impose additional requirements. You must be in good health you must weigh at least 110 pounds (with some exceptions). You must provide information about your health and your blood pressure, heart rate and temperature will be taken. Additionally your blood will be checked for anemia. You must be at least 17 years of age (if texas permits 16 year olds to donate, then one of your parents will need to read the student's guide to blood donation and sign the parent/guardian consent form. A signed consent form is needed for each blood donation. Hemophilia is a reason to exclude blood. Since you have von willebrand's blood disorder type 2, I do not know if they would lump your blood into a categroy of hemophilia and like disorders or if it would be accepted. I suggest that you contact who ever is running the blood drive so that they can look into this before hand. Good luck.

In brief: Outstanding

Outstanding question.
Dr. Scott Diede
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Unfortunately no

Thank you for wanting to.
The presence of a bleeding disorder, no matter how mild, is a general contraindication to donation. It is also a safety issue for you (getting accessed for the donation). There are other ways to help. Spread the word about the blood drive. There are always volunteer possibilities involved with blood drives also.

In brief: Unfortunately no

Thank you for wanting to.
Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Cindy Juster