Hole in my tooth I have a hole in my tooth the 2nd one from the back and it feels like the hole is almost covering half my tooth what should I do should I just get it extracted the way i want to or let a dentist save it?

Dr. Theron Baker
Dentistry

In brief: This

This is a decision to be made between you and your dentist.
I would recommend that you discuss **prognosis**. As an example: "if i save my tooth, what is its 10 year prognosis?" this is asking what the likelihood of failure is over a certain time period. If he says that after saving the tooth and doing your root canal, crown lengthening and crown procedures the tooth has a *poor* 10 year prognosis then you have information to compare other treatments and costs to. Removing a tooth typically gives you four follow-up options: 1) do nothing - leave a space, 2) a removable option like a denture, 3) a bridge, 4) an implant. These options potentially have a different or better prognosis. All carry unique risks, benefits and costs. Compare your options taking into account prognosis and cost of the options. These are hard decisions but together you and your dentist can figure out what’s the best for you.

In brief: This

In brief: This

This question can not be answered without a dental examination.
Your dentist will need to physically evaluate you and do x-rays to determine if the tooth is salvagable or not. Sometimes a badly broken tooth still has enough core strength to accept a crown. If the tooth does require extraction, your dentist might suggest a bridge because if there is just an open space, other teeth will likely migrate into that space.

In brief: This

Dr. Sunook Hwang
Dentistry

In brief: Everytime

Everytime there is extensive decay in a tooth that invades into a nerve tissue ( located in the center of a tooth ), treatment options are either root canal therapy ( followed by crown placement ) or extraction of it.
Dental professionals recommend to go with root canal therapy so that tooth could be saved for now but ultimately it's the choice a patient makes. Once a tooth gets taken out, depending on a location, other teeth can and will shift over time. Another tooth that used to bite with a missing tooth on the opposite arch will move upward or downward in an effort to close the gap created by extraction procedure. Once it comes out of socket enough due to the shifting, pain could come from exposure of root surface. Then another extraction might be needed. Talk to your dentist and make an informed decision.

In brief: Everytime

Dr. Vicken Poochikian