Are herbal remedies safe and effective? I wanted to try passion flower or valerian root for anxiety. I have never tried herbal remedies but thought they might be worth a try. I don't want to go on expensive, strong medication for anxiety.

In brief: Hello,

Hello, dr. San pedro ferraz already commented on valerian root.
So i will address your question regarding passion flower. Passion flower is also known at passiflora incarnata. Passion flower extract is used as flavoring in foods and drinks. It was previously classified as an over-the-counter medication but was taken off the market in this country because of a lack of studies to demonstrate safety and benefits. Chemicals in the passion flower plant can help with insomnia and are calming. It can be used in tea or an extract. Side effects are not common but include thinking sluggishly, feeling tired, fast heart beat, nausea and vomiting. It should not be used in pregnancy or if breast feeding. If sedated, do not drive or use dangerous machinery.

In brief: Hello,

Dr. Reynald Ferraz

In brief: I'm

I'm not knowledgeable about passion flower but have some experience with using valerian for anxiety and insomnia on patients.
Basically from an effectivity standpoint, i observe very mixed positive and no significant benefit results which mirrors contradictory information seen in research. Valerian root generally is safe but strongly suggest a discussion on the safety issues with a supervising doctor; for example there are experts who do not recommend its use during pregnancy. Due to its sedation properties, one needs to be cautious when operating dangerous equipment while taking it.

In brief: I'm

Dr. Reynald Ferraz
Dr. Reynald Ferraz
Dr. Arnon Rubin