Bald spot in the back of my head I am a 50 year old female with a bald spot the size of a softball in the back of my head that I have had for at least 6 months or more

In brief: Hello.

Hello. First, i wanted to advise that i can not diagnose your bald spot.
Alopecia areata is a medical condition in which you lose a patch of hair. The hair loss can be on your head, your body, and sometimes there can be a total loss of hair. I recommend that you see a dermatologist who can evaluate the cause of the hair loss and provide you with treatment options. Good luck.

In brief: Hello.

Dr. James Seward
Dermatology

In brief: I

I agree. It certainly could be alopecia areata.
This is a fairly common cause of bald patches in the scalp. A picture of this condition and information on treatment options is on the link below. I hope that helps!

In brief: I

Dr. James Seward
Dr. James Seward