Can a pain pill be taken while still on suboxone? I am on Suboxone but I am in a lot of pain. Will it hurt me to take a pain pill while I am still taking the suboxone.

Dr. Mila Mogilevsky
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Sorry

Sorry to hear about your pain, the role of suboxone is to actually replace your opioid needs in addition to preventing other pain medications from working.
The chemical structure of suboxone is such that it will not allow pain medications to reach the desired effect. While it will not hurt to take a pain medication, taking it will not likely to do anything for your level of pain - this is precisely what this medication is all about. Please address your concerns with your pain doctor and be honest with him/her before you do anything. Good luck!

In brief: Sorry

Dr. Mila Mogilevsky
Dr. Mila Mogilevsky
Dr. Stephen Christensen

In brief: I'm

I'm sorry you're in pain.
Your doctor prescribed suboxone for a reason (this medication is usually prescribed for people with opioid dependence) so adding a narcotic painkiller to your regimen could thwart that purpose. In addition, naloxone, which is one constituent of suboxone, may reduce the effectiveness of any narcotic painkiller you take. If you increase the dosage of painkiller to offset this effect, you could possibly overdose on one or more of the painkiller's components (such as acetaminophen). It probably won't hurt you to take a narcotic while you're taking suboxone, but you should call your doctor to discuss your options.

In brief: I'm

I'm sorry you're in pain.
Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Stephen Christensen
Dr. Vikram Patel