Would a sensory integration disorder be a symptom of Asperger's syndrome? my now 11yr old daughter was diagnosed as having an autism spectrum disorder 1yr ago. however when I'm speaking to others about her symptoms the first comment I hear usually is 'oh

In brief: Hi,

Hi, concur with dr. Rinker. Aspergers syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder.
Autism, is the most impairing of the autism spectrum disorders. Pervasive developmental disorder comes next and children with aspergers are usually the highest functioning of three. Children with autism spectrum disorder usually have sensory overload which includes tactile stimulation. I recommend talking directly with your daughter's psychiatrist about how best to deal with her tactile sensitivity. One quick option is the use of a camisole that is made of smooth or silky material as an undergarment. It is likely to create less friction against the nipples without highlighting just her nipples. Additionally, pulling bandaids off of skin repeatedly could be quite painful - especially in a child who is already sensitive. I hope this is helpful. Take care.

In brief: Hi,

Dr. Theresa-Ann Clark

In brief: Common in ASD

Kids with asds have difficulty with sensory regulation and integration.
This can manifest as exceptional sensitivity to sound, light, touch, taste, and textures (including food). Others crave greater sensory input by crashing into things, rocking, or even head banging. Consult an occupational therapist familiar with these issues. Environmental strategies can increase your child's comfort.

In brief: Common in ASD

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: The American Academy

of Pediatrics recommends that Pediatricians not use "Sensory Processing Disorder" as an independent diagnosis because atypical responses to sensory input are related to many underlying Neurodevelopmental Disorders including Autistic Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, Developmental Coordination Disorder & Anxiety Disorders.
There is limited data on the efficacy of sensory-based therapies. See comment.

In brief: The American Academy

Dr. Johanna Fricke
For those who are interested, the AAP policy statement " Sensory Integration Therapies for Children With Developmental and Behavioral Disorders" was published in the June 2012 Pediatrics, published online May 28, 2012. As with all therapies, OT treatment goals must be set, data collected & reviewed to determine efficacy & changes made to suit the functional level & needs of the individual child.
Dr. Carlos Barrios
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

Sensory interpretation difficulties are common in the autism spectrum. Social awkwardness is the cornerstone and if that is not present, then the diagnosis of any disorder on the autism spectrum would not seem to follow.
A basic screening tool such as a Gilliam Asperger questionnaire done by two adults that know her well could clear any doubts if hasn't been done; child psychologist gives.

Dr. Eric Weisman