I have a large lump after recent blood work with in 28 hours it has grown to be 2 nches in diameter

Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: From

From what you describe, this is likey just a hematoma, however you did not say what medical problems you might have and whether you are taking any blood thinners, such as plavix, coumadin, (warfarin) Heparin or aspirin.
These agents can prevent or slow down clotting of the blood making hematomas more common. I assume you had your blood drawn from the bend in the elbow, known as the antecubital space. There are two main veins that phlebotomists use to draw blood - the cephalic vein on the outside of the arm and the basilic vein, on the inside of the arm. Most hematomas are under low pressure, i.e. From the vein. Deep to the basilic vein lies the brachial artery. Rarely, the needle can pass thru the vein and poke into the artery behind it. Since the arterial blood is under higher pressure, bleeding can occur and cause either a hematoma or in some cases, a pseudoaneurysm. If the lump is growing and pulsatile, i.e. Pulses, then you should see your physician as soon as possible. If not, apply gentle pressure on the lump, and it should stop enlarging. Then it will take a few days to a week for the lump to diminish. In addition, as the blood clot breaks down, you will see discoloration around the elbow area. Heating pads applied to the area will speed up the reabsorption of blood.

In brief: From

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. William Forsythe