Allergies? What to do about hives on my 4 year old my four year old has just developed 3 hives on his face. He is not complaining. Should i give him an antihistamine? He hasn't eaten anything unusual today and is having no other swelling or reactions. Th

Dr. Marvin Den

In brief: If

If the hives receeded on own not needed.
Would speak to your pediatician about the possible causes. If he is not helpful consider seeing an allergist. It is most likely related to an exposure that occurred within 4- 8 hrs of the appearence.

In brief: If

Dr. Marvin Den
Dr. Marvin Den
Dr. Powlin Manuel
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Hives

Hives in a four-year-old is most often caused by an immune reaction to viruses entering the body, which could be as trivial as a common cold.
In this case the body reacts to the virus or to the cells the virus takes control of. The genes of the viruses take control of the infected cells and start producing its products. The body mounts an offensive against the virus by producing antibodies against the viruses. The type of antibody called ige can elicit production of histamine or similar compounds which can cause hives. If you have allergy to foods such as milk, peanuts, eggs, or any other food items, you may have a similar antibody which can result in allergic reactions. Usually antihistamines such as Benadryl (diphenhydramine) would help to alleviate the symptoms. You should consult your doctor for management. Powlin v. Manuel md, mba, ms.

In brief: Hives

Dr. Powlin Manuel
Dr. Powlin Manuel
Dr. Joel Selter
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma

In brief: Hives

Hives in a 4 year old are oftentime associated with viral infections.
I agree that if the hives have receded and do not come back then allergy evaluation is probably not needed. If child is itchy then it is worthwhile to try an antihistamine- any otc med would be a good start.

In brief: Hives

Dr. Joel Selter
Dr. Joel Selter
Dr. Thomas Johnson
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma

In brief: An

An antihistamine would be fine to try.
I see that the question was asked 1 day ago so i hope the hives improved.

In brief: An

An antihistamine would be fine to try.
Dr. Thomas Johnson
Dr. Thomas Johnson
Dr. Shontae Buffington