Is it a good idea to eat a high-protein diet before starting beam radiation therapy?

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

In brief: If you have fatigue

Its common for radiation departments to tell patients to eat higher protein diets.
However many patients are not malnourished or have any fatigue. If a patient has been losing weight we offer this suggestion and supplements (i tell them to eat anything they like to keep weight on tempered by if the patient is diabetic who has to watch sugar intake).

In brief: If you have fatigue

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Radiation Oncology

In brief: It won't hurt

I don't see a lot of weight loss in prostate treatment and we usually see a great deal in the treatment of head and neck tumors, so my dietary suggestions aremsite specific, for pelvic radiotherapy a low residue diet is helpful often times whereas a high calorie high protein diet is needed for patients expected to have swallowing difficulties.

In brief: It won't hurt

Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Dr. Arnon Rubin