Podiatry question: is there anything i can do, short of surgery, for big-toe-bunions? Please e-mail me if you are so kind as to answer this question: [email address removed by avvo]

In brief: Treating bunions

There is no conservative treatment that will correct a bunion--so called bunion correction splints may ease some symptoms but will not "train" the toe to go straight.
Wider shoes, a toe spacer, and tube foam are the most common ways to treat the pain and discomfort. Try those things to see if you can put off surgery for a while (or avoid it altogether!).

In brief: Treating bunions

Dr. Jeffery VanYperen
Dr. Jeffery VanYperen

In brief: Bunion

These will relieve pain. Will not get rid of bunion

In brief: Bunion

Dr. Jasen Langley
Dr. Jasen Langley

In brief: Sure

If you have a bunion, prevent pressure from shoes, use padding, ice, antiinflammatories.
If all else fails, consider surgery to correct the deformity. There is no conservative treatment that "removes" or "straightens" the deformity.

In brief: Sure

Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry

In brief: Wider shoes

There are no splints or pads out there that can "fix" your bunion deformity.
They can improve symptoms, but not fix the deformity. Thre are silicone type "bunion shields" that can off load pressure. Look online. Dr l.

In brief: Wider shoes

Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha

In brief: If

If you have bunions on your feet, you have to ask yourself, do they hurt or is it just the apperance that bothers you.
Surgery is the only way to really fix the bunion. However, if they don't hurt and you just want to feel comfortable, then, my recommendation would be to try to stay away from pointy shoes and wear wide shoes with extra depth in order to allow for more room for your feet.

In brief: If

Dr. Velimir Petkov
Dr. Velimir Petkov

Try changing your shoes.
.orthotics or inserts (power steps are OTC) try pads to offload pressure points..anti inflammatory medications, injections...for adults dont waste money on bunion splints

Try changing your shoes.
Dr. Kostadinka Skandeva
Dr. Kostadinka Skandeva
Dr. Ali Elkhalil
Podiatry

In brief: It depends

The severity of the issue dictate the treatment.
Short of surgery is not an option. You are not thing to put new engine or transition and get back on the road. You need xray to evaluate the issue and extend of arthritis if any and options will be available upon evaluation. See a certified foot and ankle surgeon podiatrist

In brief: It depends

Dr. Ali Elkhalil
Dr. Ali Elkhalil
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: A bunion

Is a structural deformity.
Hence, if you want it removed surgery is your only option. Of course, if it doesn't hurt, then you need not remove it.

In brief: A bunion

Is a structural deformity.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Conservative options

Treatment options for the management of bunions include conservative and surgical management.
Conservative management options include use of orthotic devices, change in shoe wear, medications such as oral no-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (nsaids), steroid injections, padding of corns and calluses, and splinting and strapping.

In brief: Conservative options

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat

In brief: I

I am only going to make a suggestion here.
I will let a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon make a more direct & comprehensive response. Whether you are a man or a woman, to avoid extra pressure on the bunions on your big toes, consider wearing box- toe shoes that give your toes ample room and which do not add to friction / pressure against your toes. Also, a number of companies now make socks with "soft soles" which may increase your comfort and pad a little against friction and pressure. I have not provided any solutions - but hope that these suggestions might help to increase your comfort.

In brief: I

Dr. Donald Pelto
Podiatry

In brief: Bunions

I am sure you got lots of responses here are a few resources about bunions and non-surgical treatments.
I hope they help. http://centralmasspodiatry.com/bunion

In brief: Bunions

Dr. Donald Pelto
Dr. Donald Pelto

In brief: Conservative measure

Bunions are structural deformities.
There is nothing that will correct a bunion short of surgery. Symptomatic relief can be had with wider shoes, anti inflammatory meds, and sometime injection therapy

In brief: Conservative measure

Bunions are structural deformities.
Dr. Rajeev Sehgal
Dr. Rajeev Sehgal

In brief: Conservative treatme

You can change shoegear, pad off area, wear orthotics, but these won't get rid of union.
See a podiatrist and tell that you want conservative care.

In brief: Conservative treatme

Dr. Allan Rosenthal
Dr. Allan Rosenthal

In brief: Shoes and orthotics

Wide toe-box in shoe to prevent friction and irritation.
Orthotics thoeritically prevent the deformity from progressing by retarding the biomechanics that contribute to it.

In brief: Shoes and orthotics

Dr. Richard Taddeo
Dr. Richard Taddeo

In brief: bunions

As others stated there is no conservative fix for bunions.
In the vascularly compromised patient custom shoes help and can prevent ulceration. For the population with good circulation and bunion pain , see your podiatrist for a consultation on bunion surgery. There are different procedures based on the deformity. Good luck.

In brief: bunions

Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Thomas Inwood

In brief: Proper footwear

Orthotic arch supports help prevent the splaying of the foot and the first ray in general, and build up ; support the arches.
Wider shoes help accommodate the orthotic, give your toes, and the bunion bump more room to prevents pressure, rubbing, etc on the bunion. Injections at the big toe joint can reduce inflammation and pain. Same for anti-inflammatory medications like motrin, alleve, et.

In brief: Proper footwear

Dr. Kelvin Barry Sr
Dr. Kelvin Barry Sr
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery