If I have radiation therapy to my abdomen, will I still be able to have my colostomy reversed?

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology

Radiation can cause some scarring that can make surgery or reversal of colostomy more difficult.
But usually the radiation to abdomen is in moderate doses and should not interfere.

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

Depending on what cancer and what doses of radiation, in most cases the area that requires colostomy reversal can tolerate the surgery.
However exact details about what and how it was radiated and whether it should be reversed is best answered by your radiation oncologist.

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery