Hello, when switching from Lexapro to celexa, should I begin celexa right away? Or do I wean off the Lexapro first? My doctor said to take them simultaneously for a while, and then stop the Lexapro after 2 weeks. My pharmacist disagrees and says you can d

I . I would be inclined to side with your pharmacist on this matter for the same reason the pharmacist gave you.
How . How about both of these are ways to change medications. Both belong to a class of antidepressant medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. They have a similar mechanism of action. Depending on the dose, a provider may recommend decreasing the Lexapro (escitalopram) while at the same time starting the Celexa at a low dose and increasing it. A provider could also recommend stopping the Lexapro (escitalopram) and then starting the Celexa the next day. Your psychiatrist / doctor is the individual who is actually responsible for the quality of care you receive. Your provider develops your treatment plan and it is his or her medical license that is on the line when she or he renders you care. I applaud pharmacists picking up on things that are of potential danger such as being prescribed a medication that you might be allergic to or pointing out possible drug - drug interactions or medication contraindications. That is a very important part of their job. I would be dissappointed, if your pharmacist told you that the psychiatrist / doctor was prescribing incorrectly, since these are simply two different options.